Wednesday, October 19, 2016

The sandy Seminole

I clock into work at the brisk hour of 6:30 a.m., the sand squeaks under my bare feet, soft waves roll onto wet sand and seagulls yelp good morning as I run by. It strikes 9 a.m. as I step off the beach. Fifteen minutes later, I unfold my laptop and begin typing. My job for the morning is done; working toward my bachelor’s degree has just begun.



I work for La Dolce Vita, an elite beach service in Destin and South Walton along the majestic beaches of the Emerald Coast. Every morning my alarm sounds at 6 a.m. I load my equipment into the truck and head to serve my weekly guests. The next two or three hours, I hustle to prepare chairs, umbrellas, paddleboards, kayaks, bicycles and much more for my guests. I do the heavy lifting so tourists are left with only the relaxing. Throughout the day, I accept phone calls, run deliveries and tend to anyone in need of our services. When the day is over, I head back to the beaches to put everything away for the night.

I love my job; I fully believe it is the most enjoyable job I could have at this age. In respect to my job, my college degree is more important. Last year I took a look at my life and asked myself what I could do to avoid debt, complete college and ultimately enjoy myself. Florida State University Panama City was my solution. I easily planned my schedule and worked it out with my employer. I agreed to a 58-hour work week and on top of that, I scheduled three classes toward my professional communication major at FSU Panama City.

After I complete my morning duties, I head to the office and usually have about two hours to grab some breakfast and complete some class work before the phone starts ringing. I spend this time writing my papers and studying for exams. Two days out of the week, I make a short 38-mile commute to the beautiful Florida State campus in Panama City. A strong coffee and amazing professors help me advance my skills toward my future job career.

Before or after class I will often find myself in the library. I never spend much time in libraries, but FSU Panama City's library is outstanding. While working, I'm surrounded by large, multi-story glass windows overlooking the calm bay laced with pine trees. I honestly feel the library enhances my creativity. A creativity I hope I turned into an understanding for you about my life here as a Seminole.  After all, this story may have started in my office at work, but I conclude it from the magnificent library here at FSU Panama City.

— Cole Glass

contributing writer

1 comment:

  1. What a great tribute to attending this beautiful campus and our surrounding communities! I also admire your dedication and work ethic.

    ReplyDelete

Four Crossed Logs is produced by students at Florida State University Panama City. All opinions represent those of the individual writer and not the university or its administrators. The blog is intended to showcase the talent, communication and insight of FSU Panama City students.