Wednesday, October 12, 2016

Makeup products review

I am a huge makeup geek. I can’t explain my excitement when I go into a beauty store. The day I found out Panama City Beach was finally getting a Sephora I felt as if my life was complete. Doing makeup is hard work, and I can’t forget to mention time consuming. I am constantly watching YouTube tutorials by bloggers who teach you new ways to apply makeup with the various products out on the market. My favorite makeup artist is Jaclyn Hill. She used to work for Mac Cosmetics but her career is now based off of making Youtube videos.

I have tried many makeup brands out there and I have some ride or die products. The following products I am going to share with you are ones I can’t live without:

I have been using this primer by Smashbox for years. You can find this at Sephora for $36.00. I apply this on before my foundation as it helps foundation apply smoothly and makes it long lasting.


After I apply my primer I then use Urban Decay Naked Skin foundation. This is another product I have been using for about 4 years. It can be purchased from Sephora for $40.00 which is quite expensive but it last for ages. The smaller tube is under eye concealer. This is a newer product by Urban Decay and runs for $28.00. I would recommend both of these to anyone looking for foundation that doesn’t make your face feel cakey but gives amazing coverage. 


If you love a good pigmented eyeshadow, this palette is a must have. It is from Morphe Brushes which is a company based in California. I heard about this brand from Youtube blogger Jaclyn Hill. This palette has 28 colors and it was under $30.00 when I ordered it from their website. For how many different colors this comes with for the price, it’s a bang for the buck. 


If you want to have your eyebrow game strong, look no further. Anastasia Beverly Hills has you covered. I’ve used this dipbrow ever since its been out. For $18.00 you can find this at Sephora or Anastasia’s direct website. This product is creamy and easy to apply. Oh and its waterproof which is great for humid climates like we have in Florida. 


I’ve recently started using this They’re Real! Mascara by Benefit cosmetics. The brush inside makes your lashes have extra volume. The staggered bristles are really good for separating the lashes which is why I like this mascara so much. This is also sold at Sephora for $24. 


There are a lot of different bronzers in the market. I currently use this matte one by Too Faced. It applies smoothly while giving my face a nice matte bronzed tone and this product has lasted for ages. For $30, this can be bought at Sephora. 


So many people have raved about this translucent powder by Laura Mercier for so long I finally got it about two weeks ago. You use this to set liquid concealer/foundation that gives you a silky long lasting finish. Your makeup will not move once it has been set with this powder. I don’t know how I went as long as I did without it. This can be found at Sephora for $38.


It’s all about a highlight. This is also by Laura Mercier in the color Devotion. The pigmentation of this highlighter is amazing as its very light reflecting. I tried all four colors available in this collection and I was so in love with them all. This is sold for $44 at Sephora.


There is so many amazing liquid lipsticks that have recently came out. I just tried this new one by Smashbox the other week and I think it is my #1 go to for liquid lipsticks at the moment. With an eight-hour wear, this product is very light and comfortable. Some other liquid lipsticks I have used before can be very thick and therefore feel cakey. There are about 15 different colors available in this product for $24 (without matching liner) sold at Sephora. The liner is an additional $21 and not completely necessary. 


And lastly, the brushes. Make up brushes are essential to how makeup will apply. The majority of these brushes are from Mac Cosmetics with the exception of 5. The others I ordered online from Morphe Brushes which are actually priced really well compared to the Mac ones. If you are looking for good makeup brushes, I would definitely recommend any from Mac or Morphe Brushes. 


Sorry to any guys I may have bored with my make-up product review (if it was read). For anyone looking to try new cosmetic products I hope this review has helped. Go check out Jaclyn Hill’s YouTube tutorials I mentioned at the top as she is amazing at showing how to use all these products.

— Brittany Sowell

Four Crossed Logs intern
professional communication major

No comments:

Post a Comment

Four Crossed Logs is produced by students at Florida State University Panama City. All opinions represent those of the individual writer and not the university or its administrators. The blog is intended to showcase the talent, communication and insight of FSU Panama City students.