Wednesday, October 12, 2016

Fired from a wedding

In 2009 I was asked to be my best friend’s maid of honor. I had never been a part of a wedding, and I had only known her a few years. We became fast friends, and while I was surprised that she even asked, because she had some friends she had known most of her life, I said yes.

If I told you I knew it wouldn’t work out after we went dress shopping, you wouldn’t believe me. Four words: chocolate brown satin gown. She wanted everyone to wear the exact same dress, regardless of body type and personal preference. We finally nailed it down to two … we didn’t talk about it again until a few months later.

What I always liked about her is that she was outspoken and honest. I never had to guess what she was thinking; she would just say it. We had that in common up to this point. I still don’t know what changed.

Three months before the wedding, over a $150 meal, there was a disturbance in the force. Accused of not showing enough enthusiasm for the bride, her fiancé tells me she doesn’t want me in the wedding anymore. I was working 55 hours a week, taking six hours of school and eventually started doing a radio internship three days a week from 3 a.m. to 10 a.m.; the only thing I had enthusiasm for was sleep. She knew this was all going on when she recruited me for the job. I found it hard to invest so much time in someone else’s event. I had to constantly remind myself that just because I didn’t understand the significance of what shoes to wear under a floor length gown, I decided I would continue to try and be supportive until I heard the news from her.

On New Year’s Eve, I was sitting at my favorite bar when I receive a Facebook message as long as the Declaration of Independence. I wasn’t supportive enough. I mocked silly things like cake toppers and napkin colors. I “made a face” when she made the decision on the bridesmaid dress. I was being attacked for being the person I had always been since well before he popped the question.

I don’t do well with confrontation; it makes me sick to my stomach. I don’t think I should ever have to fight my way into someone’s life, much less someone’s wedding party. I think I responded with something like “OK,” and ordered another drink. I knew that the great few years of friendship we had was over.

A couple of weeks later I picked up the $180 chocolate brown dress and tossed it in the trash. Choose your friends carefully, you can’t put a price tag on respect.

—  Sandra de Arrigunaga

Four Crossed Logs intern
professional communication major

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a giant bridezilla to me!! You probably had more fun at the bar you were at then the wedding anyways!!

    ReplyDelete

Four Crossed Logs is produced by students at Florida State University Panama City. All opinions represent those of the individual writer and not the university or its administrators. The blog is intended to showcase the talent, communication and insight of FSU Panama City students.