Wednesday, October 12, 2016

Afternoon Tea

My first afternoon tea experience was at a restaurant called Sketch in London. Afternoon tea is big in the U.K. and consist of mini sandwiches, pastries, scones and, of course, tea. They aren’t hard to find in England, especially in London. There is even an afternoon tea bus tour that takes you for a ride on a big red bus. I did some research before booking my first afternoon tea experience as I wanted to go somewhere special.

My research led me to the restaurant Sketch in Mayfair, London, because of its eccentric/quirky vibe. Sketch features artwork by David Shrigley with about 230 drawings. Aside from the incredible artwork, many A-list celebrities have dinned at Sketch, such as Taylor Swift, Jessica Alba and Kendall Jenner.



My friend, Alice, and I decided on the Champagne afternoon tea. For 61 pounds a person, it included everything on the left side of the menu plus a glass of champagne. My favorite assortment from the sandwich selection was the corn-fed coronation chicken. It tasted like a curry chicken salad. The presentation on our three-tier cake stand was incredible.







The next part about my afternoon tea experience I am going to tell you about it very odd. Sketch is also known for their bathrooms. Or should I say “pods.” If you dine at Sketch and don’t take a photo or selfie in the bathroom, you haven’t had the full Sketch experience. The toilets are in an actual pod and the ceiling is covered in multi colored lights. Not only does it feel like a disco, it is by far the coolest bathroom I have ever seen. Although that’s a weird thing to say.





I am dying to go back to Sketch in London. It is one of my favorite dining experiences. They serve breakfast, lunch, afternoon tea, and dinner. Not only has Sketch won multiple awards, it also holds two Michelin stars. If you are ever in London, I would recommend going to this place. Book your reservation in advance, as they stay booked up. Check out their Instagram page.

— Brittany Sowell

Four Crossed Logs intern
professional communication major

No comments:

Post a Comment

Four Crossed Logs is produced by students at Florida State University Panama City. All opinions represent those of the individual writer and not the university or its administrators. The blog is intended to showcase the talent, communication and insight of FSU Panama City students.