Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Heroes

Can you have heroes for different areas of your life, or are you only allowed one? I think about things I have accomplished and what led me to those accomplishments. There was always someone who challenged me, not necessarily someone who went easy on me, but someone who carefully guided me down the right path. I am facing one of the biggest accomplishments of my life and staring it right in the face: graduating from college.

I started school in spring 2001. I was 19 and was trying to balance work and school in a new city. Living 350 miles away from my parents, I didn’t have anyone to hold me accountable, so I quit.

It wasn’t until 2007 or so when I decided to go back. I was working full time and really thought I was where I was supposed to be. School at that point was almost like an extra-curricular activity. I knew I wanted to finish; I just didn’t know if I would ever get there being a part-time student.

When I moved to Georgia in 2012, I decided to enroll in school hoping to perhaps meet new friends or gain a strong network to get back into the work force. I moved again the next year and then the next, and that’s how I ended up here in Panama City. I applied for admission to FSU, and they told me I needed another math class in order to be accepted into the program.

I felt defeated. After two semesters of remedial math, I thought, "Forget it. Not going to happen."

I called my in-laws. (Really, they are like my parents I don’t treat them any differently and I love them just the same.) I talked about how frustrated I was and how I decided I was just going to throw in the towel. Five schools and four states later, there was no way I would get through another math class.

Lt. Col. Ramon E. de Arrigunaga USAF (Ret.) 
My father-in-law, a retired lieutenant colonel, basically told me it was something I had to do. “After all of the time, the money, the credit hours, the lost credit hours, why would you give up now? You have two years left, the time will pass anyway,” he said. I took the math class at Gulf Coast State College, got an A, and here I am.

I am one semester and six credit hours away from graduating. If it weren’t for him, I never would have kept going.

We moved here in 2014, and he was right; time passed anyway. He lost his battle with cancer on Sept. 10.

This semester has been the toughest I’ve ever had. Forget struggling with math for half of my college life, moving on after losing the person who cared the most about my academic success has been absolute hell. It’s like playing a sport without the ball, it just hasn’t made much sense. When you have people in your life that inspire and motivate you, tell them. Make sure that they know because at the end of the day, I think that’s why we are all here – to leave our mark in the world.

If you’re in the position where you’re failing a class or you’re just now going back to school, I know the mountain seems high, but you will get over it. Don’t give up, there are so many people wishing they had the opportunities that you do. And if you say to yourself, “it’ll take forever,” my advice to you is: the time will pass anyway.

Rest in Peace Lt. Col. Ramon E. de Arrigunaga USAF (Ret.) Ecclesiastes 3:1-8

— Sandra de Arrigunaga

Four Crossed Logs intern
professional communication major

No comments:

Post a Comment

Four Crossed Logs is produced by students at Florida State University Panama City. All opinions represent those of the individual writer and not the university or its administrators. The blog is intended to showcase the talent, communication and insight of FSU Panama City students.