Thursday, October 27, 2016

Networking 101: How to open doors you didn’t know were even there

In 15 years in the business world, the most uncomfortable I ever felt was during my first business-networking experience. I was 20 years old, working for a non-profit, desperately looking for community partners, and I had no idea what I was doing. This was a Chamber of Commerce mixer, and the sea of people around me looked like they already knew everyone else. They all seemed to be having conversations I couldn’t break into, and I ended up being a wallflower for most of the meeting and left with no leads.

It took me many of these meetings to really become comfortable, and then a few more beyond that to really start building my network in the community and getting results. Thirteen years later in TV ad sales, many of my biggest deals were with clients I met at social events just like these. The learned ability to effectively network gave me a huge advantage over people with more experience who didn’t have this skill. I only wish that in the beginning I had someone who could have helped to jump-start my professional network and given me pointers.

Now that I find myself the president of the Communication Club, I want to help you do exactly that.

Each month, you’ll have opportunities to network with the business community through events with the Bay County Chamber of Commerce and Business Referral Luncheons, and through Q&As with monthly speakers. Sharpen your skills here in college before you find yourself learning on the fly out in the “real world.”

Is all this networking practice really worth it? U.S. News states that building your network is one of the two most crucial ways you can guarantee landing a job when you graduate. Meeting the right person while in college can absolutely be the difference between getting an interview and missing a great opportunity.

On Oct. 17, our first speaker of the year was Andre Boyd, a FSU alumnus and the owner of “Andre Knows Marketing,” a local marketing and PR firm. Students of all majors are encouraged to attend future events. Please email Brian Garmon with any questions or to receive a club application online.

— Brian Garmon

contributing writer

No comments:

Post a Comment

Four Crossed Logs is produced by students at Florida State University Panama City. All opinions represent those of the individual writer and not the university or its administrators. The blog is intended to showcase the talent, communication and insight of FSU Panama City students.