Tuesday, August 9, 2016

Thank you, Facebook: Reconnecting with an old friend

I met my first best friend in pre-kindergarten at Leal Elementary in Mission, Texas.

It started with a fight over a fake box of cereal that was in our miniature, wooden play kitchen. (Insert gender predictability comment here.) She was playing with some other little girl and I grabbed something that wasn’t “mine” and that was that.

I fearfully gave it to her, and I don’t remember what happened after that. What I do know is that we became friends almost immediately.

Her mom always had her hair perfectly brushed, and there was almost always a matching colored bow in her hair. I remember that my hair was almost a bowl-cut nightmare with straight bangs across the middle of my forehead. Ugh. I spent most of my childhood at her house, her parents were my second parents and we rarely fought.


Being the only girl at my house was hard, and I always wanted a sister. I wanted to feel like I was a part of something and her and her family always made me feel included – even when we would collectively get in trouble for something – I was like, “Yes! I’m in trouble too!!!”

As time went on, we started to participate in different things. She was an athlete and a good one at that. I was a fine arts kid, always singing, acting or attempting to play an instrument.

While we grew apart and made new friends, as most of us do, I always held fond memories of that friendship. Without her and her family, my childhood would have been quite lonely. I hope for that kind of friendship for my own child.

A few months ago, she asked via Facebook about things to do here and where they should stay for the week they were visiting. I was so excited! I knew there was so much time between us so I was a little nervous, but I couldn’t believe they were coming here.

We met in Panama City, and the visit was therapeutic for me. It was like I blinked and we were 34 years old. We both talked about our families and our kids. We talked about the loss of her beautiful mother. I could see the strength of her father within her, and I haven’t seen him in just as long or longer. That was something that I could have only recognized face to face, and I’m glad I did.

I don’t particularly enjoy Facebook, but the very reason I still use it is because of my ability to connect with family and friends. Without social media, she could have been minutes away from me and I never would have known.

— Sandra de Arrigunaga

Four Crossed Logs intern
professional communication major

No comments:

Post a Comment

Four Crossed Logs is produced by students at Florida State University Panama City. All opinions represent those of the individual writer and not the university or its administrators. The blog is intended to showcase the talent, communication and insight of FSU Panama City students.