Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Missing American grocery stores

While traveling in Europe this summer, I’ve concluded that I miss America’s grocery stores, particularly Publix.

Publix in Panama City is my holy grail for groceries. Always there to satisfy my needs, we are best friends. I’m big into organic food, and Publix’s Greenwise options are my ride or die.

It wasn’t until I experienced foreign supermarkets that I realized Publix had me spoiled.
Waitrose is my supermarket of choice in England but still isn’t up to par. The selections are much smaller and you can’t find as much organic variety. If you know me and know how much of a foodie I am, this is devastating.

Even more devastating is that no grocery stores I’ve experienced here have a sushi counter that makes fresh sushi daily. The convenience of walking into Publix and getting a tuna avocado roll is non-existent. Is that real life? Not for me.

The things I would do to have Publix’s Greenwise organic chocolate ice cream right now. I would probably go as far as shaving my head to have a gallon of that in front of me. Only kidding but c’mon.

America’s grocery stores are the real deal and being away this summer has made me realise this. Publix has forever spoiled me. Like Drake would say, “You're my right hand, you're my go to.”

Here are some items from Waitrose I’ve settled for:

organic butter

organic cream cheese

organic piada shells

veggie burgers

— Brittany Sowell

Four Crossed Logs intern
professional communication major

No comments:

Post a Comment

Four Crossed Logs is produced by students at Florida State University Panama City. All opinions represent those of the individual writer and not the university or its administrators. The blog is intended to showcase the talent, communication and insight of FSU Panama City students.