Thursday, August 4, 2016

My very own culture clash

I lived in South Texas the first 18 years of my life. Five minutes from Reynosa, Mexico, in a school that was 98 percent Hispanic, there I was, the one whom without my last name, nobody would have guessed I was Mexican in the first place. I didn’t speak Spanish when I was a kid because we didn’t really speak it in my house. 

Selena Quintanilla was a Mexican-American icon where I grew up. The fact that she was murdered at the beginning of her incredibly successful career was a tragedy for our community. We lost someone that young girls looked up to. In a community stricken with poverty and immigration concerns, she was a light for young women who needed to see that they could become something.

A movie based on her life was released in 1997, and when I saw it, this is the scene that spoke to me:


I grew up with parents whose first language was English in a predominately Spanish-speaking place. We didn’t have quincineras, and we didn’t celebrate Christmas on Christmas Eve. We didn’t watch novelas or Sabado Gigante.

As we got older, my brothers and I adapted to our culture more, but for me, it wasn’t until I left home that I appreciated it.

The commentary in the scene is absolutely accurate. Mexican-Americans (especially when you’re around people from Mexico) have it the hardest. I just enjoy freaking waiters out at Mexican restaurants when I perfectly roll my R’s and order in Spanish.

— Sandra de Arrigunaga

Four Crossed Logs intern
professional communication major

1 comment:

  1. What a great movie!! As well as the light it showed on how hard Selena and any other Mexican-American has it in today society. If we all just stopped and took a second to stop judging the other, think of how much better we all would be. This coming from a person who is to quick to pass judgement but, after reading this article makes me re think the light In which I approach others in.

    ReplyDelete

Four Crossed Logs is produced by students at Florida State University Panama City. All opinions represent those of the individual writer and not the university or its administrators. The blog is intended to showcase the talent, communication and insight of FSU Panama City students.