Wednesday, May 3, 2017

One of my favorite things to do on weekends is go to the Grand Lagoon Waterfront Farmers Market. While I have been busy finishing up my final semester of school, I have not visited in what seems like forever. I finally had time to go this weekend, with the semester just about wrapped up.


The market has grown notably larger since my last visit, which was great to see. The parking lot was quite full, and the market square was bustling. There must have been 20 or more vendors, with a wide array of goods on offer, such as pies, pastries, breads and other baked goods. I bought koulourakia (a type of cookie) and baklava from a Greek bakery. Another bakery there makes wonderful sweet bread, and I have bought that many times in the past.

For me, there is something special about buying local. It just feels (and tastes) good. In addition to my bakery purchase, I bought some produce from another one of the vendors. I got nice looking grape tomatoes, some sweet potatoes and some large green onions that have a purple red color to them. The same seller also had some homemade tamales to offer. Unable to resist, I picked up some of those, too.

Some of the other food items offered included homemade jams and jellies, honey, herbs and spices, as well as coffee beans. There was a vendor grilling something, not to mention a sno-cone truck. I bought some fresh-squeezed lemonade.

Food and beverage was not the only thing on offer, though. The farmers market has vendors selling handmade soaps, lotions and candles. Additionally, there are vendors selling clothing, crochet, handmade wooden crafts, unique handmade jewelry, paintings, dreamcatchers, sculptures handmade out of scrap metal and more.

The Grand Lagoon Waterfront Farmers Market is located next to Captain Anderson’s, at the corner of North Lagoon and Thomas Drive in Panama City Beach. The market is open year-round from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturdays and Sundays. 

— Phoebe Isaac

Four Crossed Logs intern
professional communication major



No comments:

Post a Comment

Four Crossed Logs is produced by students at Florida State University Panama City. All opinions represent those of the individual writer and not the university or its administrators. The blog is intended to showcase the talent, communication and insight of FSU Panama City students.