Monday, May 1, 2017

Mix and mingle at Chamber's First Friday

“Be somewhere at 7 a.m.? Hell no.” This was actually my first thought when I was first introduced to the First Friday meeting held by the Chamber of Commerce. Waking up at 10 a.m. is hard enough; I had no desire to wake up even earlier to drive two hours to mingle with a bunch of business people who I did not know. However, my conscience told me the experience could actually be beneficial. So there I was crawling out of bed at 4 a.m. so I would have time to get ready and drive two hours to Panama City. But boy, am I thankful I made that decision.

I can honestly say it was not easy being around all those people. I didn’t know them, and I felt they sure did not have an interest in getting to know me. “I’m just a communication student who has no purpose for them,” were my exact thoughts. However, Brian Garmon and his awesomeness came to my rescue. He introduced me to some people and explained to me the purpose of these meetings. One thing that I particularly remember about what he told me is that obviously the more I attended the easier it would get. He also pointed out that the more I went, people would start to recognize me and might take interest in why I was attending all of these meetings and take time to talk to me. Which by the way is awesome because it could lead to job or internship opportunities.

After all was said and done, someone stopped me while I was backing out of my parking spot after leaving the meeting. He saw me around the event and asked if I did social media for businesses because he needed someone. Now had I not just been student, I could have had a job just like that. It is amazing how the slightest mingling could have benefited me in such a huge way. I recommend that all students attend at least one of these because you never know what opportunities could arise from it.

— Tiana Hallmon

contributing writer

No comments:

Post a Comment

Four Crossed Logs is produced by students at Florida State University Panama City. All opinions represent those of the individual writer and not the university or its administrators. The blog is intended to showcase the talent, communication and insight of FSU Panama City students.