Wednesday, May 3, 2017

Katie May: Seminole success story

Katie May is a great example of Seminole success. She has been a member of the FSU Equestrian Team, has been inducted into both the Garnet & Gold Scholar Society and Garnet Key Honor Society, and most recently, she received the Florida State University President’s Humanitarian of the Year Award for the College of Applied Studies. She has landed a great job with a major company, too. She is currently pursuing a Master’s Degree in corporate/public communication, and is set to graduate this year in December. I caught up with May for a Q & A about her experience and success as a student at FSU Panama City.

Where are you from?
A small one red light town called Greenwood, Florida.

How did you become interested in the communication program?
When I was at Chipola College I was majoring in Business Management and I knew it was full of classes that I was not interested in. My advisor at the time, Bonnie Smith, told me about FSU PC’s Communication Program encouraging me to peruse it since it fit my personality.

Why did you choose FSU Panama City?
By coming from a small town with an even smaller school (graduating class of 32) and from a small commuting college, FSU PC felt just like home. I enjoyed having a school where you were not just considered a number, but you had a name. At FSU PC professors don’t see their students as a number or a paycheck they genuinely see us as the future and want to grow/develop us in as many ways possible.

Is there anything in particular that you have really enjoyed about FSU Panama City or that you think is unique to the student experience at this school?
The professors are outstanding. In high school teachers always try to scare you about how horrible college professors are, but it is quite the opposite. All three of my professors: Dr. Halvorson, Dr. Wallace, and Dr. Lindsay are all amazing to work with. They go above and beyond to make sure your classes are on track, that you are understanding the material, and reassuring you that they are always there if you need anything.

Did you take any of your classes online? If so, did you like and/or dislike about the online course experience?
I have taken multiple classes online. The main thing that I liked about the online experience was that it was convenient for me and my work schedule.

Tell me about any internship you did, and what you learned from the experience?
I did my undergraduate internship at a Crop Insurance company based out of Kansas. While interning there I had multiple opportunities to use some of the knowledge from my degree such as communication audits and social media audits. Along with auditing the company I also working with the National Marketing Director assisting at trainings, trade shows, as well as being the head administrator for all of the company’s social media accounts.

Tell me a bit about your new job position. What got you interested in pursuing that type of position, and what got you interested in the company?
I am currently working at Trane located in Lynn Haven, Florida. After my internship I knew that the company was not meant for me that I wanted to try something that would be challenging to me and my skill set. One day while looking on a job posting website I ran across a posting of a Human Resources (HR) Intern at an Air Conditioner Manufacturing Plant. I knew that I had always wanted to be in HR, but was never sure how to get my foot in the door. Knowing this was my opportunity for a change I took a chance at doing something that I never would have dreamed of doing. I applied for a job that I knew could open the door to the future corporate job that I have always dreamed of. I applied on a Wednesday and that Friday the HR Site Leader called to set up my first interview for the following Monday. My family was as surprised/thrilled as I was. I have never seen a job placement as fast in my life. I knew deep down that this job was meant to be. One interview led into another, which quickly reassured me on my thought that this was a good leap of faith. Within a period of a week I was interview, hired, and started not only a job, but also a career. I have been working with Trane for the past 11 months. Trane has offered so many amazing opportunities and life long career paths. Something that I thought was a short leap of faith has turned into an open door into the career path that I have been dreaming of since I was 10 years old.

Tell me a bit about how you approached the job hunt. Did you use any online job listing sites, online resume posting sites, or Linked In? How important do you think such online tools are for new grads these days?
I used Indeed and Glassdoor. I think it is very important for current students and new graduates to at least watch the job posting sites. Just because you do not know about a company/job does not mean it is not there. I found the HR Internship by accident, I was not looking for it or was legitimately considering going into another internship. One thing that I have learned through this whole process is, do not put on your blinders. Start looking for ways to improve yourself and push yourself to take that scary leap of faith. It could turn out better than anything you could have planned for.

How did your time as a student prepare you to search for, and land a job?
The best thing that I ever did as a student was taking the Interviewing Class with Dr. Halvorson. No matter what job you go after you will always be expected to hand in a resume and be interviewed. Dr. Halvorson’s class walked you step by step in how to create a resume and how to not only conduct an interview, but how to be interviewed.

What are some things you have learned, as a student, that you feel will help you in your new position and in the career ahead of you?
Nothing good ever comes easy. You will have ups and downs and even a few curve balls, but at the end of the day it will all be worth it. Every overwhelming moment that you face is preparing you for a biggest task that is yet to come. Our actions today mold our mindset and our future. Take those overwhelming moments and realize it builds character and teaches wisdom.

Is there anything you know now, that you wish you had known at the beginning of your school career. Perhaps some advice for new students?
Eat the slice of cake. We all do it and think it. Not only are we trying to get through college, successfully, begin our careers, pay bills, have a social life; we are trying to be healthy. There is nothing harder to do than being stressed and wanting nothing more than to have a piece of cake, but you can’t because it’s bad for you. Here is my advice, we as college students work ourselves ragged to be the perfect student, child, and citizen that we could possibly be. Our stress level is through the roof. So after a long day of working/studying/adulting don’t beat yourself up on what you could have done, treat yo’ self. Where that means you go shopping, you go out with friends, or you eat that slice of cake that you know you shouldn’t, in the long run you won’t regret it.

As you move on from school, is there anything you think you will miss about your time at FSU Panama City?
The two things I will miss the most will be my professors and making memories with my friends on campus. Over the past two years I have grown very fond of all of my professors. It will be very odd not to see at least one of them once a week. It will also be weird not being a part of FSU PC activities with the wonderful people that I have met on campus that I am now lucky enough to call my friends.

— Phoebe Isaac

Four Crossed Logs intern
professional communication major

No comments:

Post a Comment

Four Crossed Logs is produced by students at Florida State University Panama City. All opinions represent those of the individual writer and not the university or its administrators. The blog is intended to showcase the talent, communication and insight of FSU Panama City students.