Wednesday, June 8, 2016

Good, Bad and Ugly of 'Captain America: Civil War' characters

I knew what the outcome was going to be, even before I saw the movie. It’s pretty obvious: The North wins, and the South loses. Laughing hysterically.
But seriously, this was pretty decent movie, not the best Marvel movie, but I enjoyed myself. The acting was superb, even from the characters I don’t really care for. The script was a little iffy in my opinion, however. Without giving too much away, just the way they get these heroes to fight was a little over the top. There could have been a better way, but I’ll take it for what it was. Some of the special effects, especially on Spiderman and Black Panther weren’t edited very well, but for the most part it was put together very well. They started to stray away from Captain America as the main character, I mean it is his movie after all, but they gave him enough screen time to make it his movie. We all know, no movie is perfect, (also looking at you “Batman v Superman”). That being said, this was an entertaining film that I recommend all comic book and movie lovers to see at least once.



This is The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly character review of "Captain America: Civil War"



The Good

  • Captain America is still my favorite Marvel character and Chris Evans’ rendition of Steve Rogers, aka Captain America, gets better and better in each movie. 
  • The Winter Solider, who is Rogers’ best friend from home and was brainwashed/experimented on by Russian extremists, was a solid second favorite. I am learning to really appreciate Sebastian Stan as an actor, especially when he’s portraying Bucky Barnes/Winter Soldier. 
  • Black Panther surprised me a lot. I am very excited to see him in future Marvel films. Chadwick Boseman has played some very large character in the black community (Jackie Robinson, James Brown and Floyd Little) but his take on T’Challa/Black Panther is probably his best, so far. 
  • Ant-man was awesome. I really loved his role, though he was in the movie sporadically. Paul Rudd, reprising his role as Ant-man still cracks me up. I never imagined Rudd as a superhero, but he has won me over here. 
  • Scarlet Witch is just awesome! She’s so gorgeous and powerful, she could probably take everyone by herself. I loved Elizabeth Olsen in this role, and I hope to see more of her. 
  • Spiderman was probably the biggest surprise for me. He was the Peter Parker/ Spiderman I’ve been waiting for: a quirky, awkward, funny teenager. 


The Bad

  • Iron Man is still getting on my nerves. I used to like him more than Captain America, but now I prefer dentist appointments — not really though. Since his role in “Iron Man 3,” where he was kind if wimpy and a little less Tony Stark-ish (less obnoxious), and his role in “Avengers: Age of Ultron,” where he made the biggest boo-boo of all time (creating Ultron), he’s just irritating to me. In this movie, I understand when he gets convicted of his actions that lead to others’ deaths, but to side with the government’s limitations of the Avengers was a cowardly move. It made me feel like he lost faith in everyone, including himself. I don’t have anything against Robert Downey Jr. — he’s a fabulous actor — I’ve got beef strictly with the character Iron Man. Hopefully things will get resolved and he’ll get his crap together in the upcoming films. 
  • Black Widow is very attractive, but is she anything more beyond that? I so many limitations in the character, especially in this movie where she can’t decide on which side she’s on, Captain America’s or Iron Man’s. I think it’s either time to give Black Widow her own movie to redeem the character or kill her off. 
  • Falcon was okay, I guess. He’s very neutral for me. I’m okay with what they did with the character in the movie, teaming him with Captain America, but if he’s so much on Cap’s team, why give Bucky such a hard time? His gadgets are cool, but a little too Iron Man-like to me, don’t we already have a tech guy? 
  • Hawkeye I could do without. All of a sudden he just shows up out of nowhere “out of retirement,” as the movie claims. The idea of hero with a bow and arrow fighting super powerful heroes is ludicrous. I’m glad they poke fun at that in “Age of Ultron,” but come on, there’s only so much a guy with these restrictions can do. 


The Ugly

  • Vision is pointless to me; I think I preferred him when he was J.A.R.V.I.S. He probably could be the most powerful one of them all and for some odd reason he has limits to what he could be. After he was created in “Age of Ultron,” I was pretty intrigued with the character and what and who he/it was/is. He’s not human, but he has human qualities, such as love and affection, which is weird. I thought he was supposed to be an all power creation with no flaws and nothing to hold him back or stop him, but he does. He gets distracted or over thinks things. I don’t know if this is how the character is supposed to be, and we’ll see him develop into this hardcore being that I thought he was going to be at first. He just doesn’t live up to his potential. And seriously, why does he dress like he’s Mr. Rogers? He can literally fly through objects, yes, fly too, and he’s dressed like some kind of Sunday school teacher. What the literal heck? 
  • Cross Bones, who we saw develop as the bad guy in the second Captain America movie, “The Winter Solider,” was lame, period. I thought Bane, a Batman villain, from another comic series, was coming out of that truck he popped out of. I was expecting him to have a more important role and to be a bigger villain than he was, but he was in and out like that. His role very short and whatever he and thugs were trying to steal, they didn’t even mention again in the movie. What was the whole point of his role if there wasn’t any expansion on any of that? Did I fall asleep all three times watching this movie at this part, because his one scene was almost pointless to me. 

Bonus: War Machine was okay. He’s starting to get annoying like Iron Man, but I suppose because they’re BFF they’re supposed to agree with each other. And Zemo, the main villain from the film, wasn’t what I expected either and still can’t decide whether that’s a good thing or a bad thing. I was hoping to see him with his famous pink mask, like from the comics, but no such luck. The character was interesting enough for me to like him and the actor, Daniel Brühl portraying Zemo, did a scary good job. His motivation behind all his actions was an interesting twist, but it did seem like a lot of work to do requiring a lot of luck as well to get these heroes pinned up against each other. I feel like they could have done something more with him, but it is what it is.
So, after seeing the movie a third time, I think I can fairly rate the movie with no regrets.

I give the movie 4 Vibranium shields out of 5


— Cory Morris

Four Crossed Logs intern
professional communication major

No comments:

Post a Comment

Four Crossed Logs is produced by students at Florida State University Panama City. All opinions represent those of the individual writer and not the university or its administrators. The blog is intended to showcase the talent, communication and insight of FSU Panama City students.