Tuesday, April 11, 2017

Nick Alexander and I’ll tell you Why: I didn’t eat for 60 hours

Fasting: Many people do it, some for religious reasons, some for health reasons, and many are involuntarily doing it. To fast is to abstain from all or some kinds of food or drink.

I would argue that most people fast for religious reasons, but let us not forget to acknowledge our dear friend the college student. With tuition, gas prices, the everyday time crunch of life and the unfortunate fact that there never seems to be food in the house, most of us college students have gone a time or two without eating. Some people fast for health reasons, claiming that, if done safely, it will help shed body fat, retain more muscle, protect your brain and help your heart. However, for more on that, you will have to check out 6 Compelling Reasons to Try a Fasting Diet.

I had been preparing to speak and give my testimony at Collide, a college ministry through Gulf Coast, held on Thursday nights. When it comes to sharing my story of how I came to know God, it is a bit of a long one. I did not begin to understand who He is until I was about 15 or 16 years old. Now 22, there were many gaps to fill in while I was preparing to speak: my upbringing until I was introduced to Him, what happened during the time I was learning about Him and everything since then that has led me to the point I’m at in my faith now. So when I was given only 30 minutes to share my story, I had to do some trimming to make sure I hit the most important parts as I wouldn’t have time to give detail to my story in entirety.

I remember going through my story numerous times; I was sick of hearing it as I was trying to dissect the vital and milestone moments of my story. I remember just days before I was supposed to speak I thought I had everything together but I could not shake the fact I felt something missing. After praying about what it was that I was leaving out, my nerves of speaking and my daily routines/obligations all distracted me. It was then, when I felt so disconnected and out of sync with God, I felt led to fast. I needed to try to block out all the distractions of my everyday life and felt led to put myself in this vulnerable state, looking to God for comfort and strength to get me through these hours. For 60 hours, I fasted from all food and limited myself to just water. Dedicating my time when I would normally be eating, to spending time in prayer and reading my bible, waiting patiently but with anticipation for what it was God was trying to communicate with me.

This was definitely unlike any experience I have had before and the duration of my fast lasted for 60 hours. Although it was rough, I am thankful for my experience for the impact it has had in my spiritual life and my relationship with God, but I am also thankful for the impact it has had in my natural life. I have come to be more grateful for all the blessings in my life that I often overlook. Such has having the luxury of a roof over my head and a kitchen full of food even when I claim there’s nothing to eat.

— Nick Alexander

Four Crossed Logs intern
professional communication major



No comments:

Post a Comment

Four Crossed Logs is produced by students at Florida State University Panama City. All opinions represent those of the individual writer and not the university or its administrators. The blog is intended to showcase the talent, communication and insight of FSU Panama City students.