Thursday, February 23, 2017

The 'real college experience' isn’t worth it

At 18, I was convinced I wanted the “real college experience”. Two years into my undergrad at the University of Kentucky, I learned that the college life was not for me. I missed my family, was doing terrible in school, and cried constantly. I moved home and school hunt began yet again.

I quickly realized that I needed to find myself again, the type A student who was motivated to do her best and have a successful life. We began looking at other “large” universities, but felt I needed to live at home to finish my degree. During this school search, a neighbor mentioned FSU Panama City.

After my tour of FSU PC, I knew it was the school for me to get my life back on track.

This is my fourth year on this campus, I love it so much that I decided to receive my master’s degree here just to stay. Many people ask why I love this school so much and I have one simple answer, small classes.

At UK, all my classes were filled with 500 to 1,000 students. I never met my professors let alone could pay attention with all the other things going on in the lecture hall. My first class at FSU PC had 10 individuals with Dr. Robinson, she was the best thing to ever happen to me to help get my life back together. She cared about my academic career and achieving greatness. She took the time out of her day to sit down with me whether that was to talk about my research paper for her class or discuss an upcoming exam. I had never had a professor care until her, it was an amazing feeling. This same act of kindness continued with all my professors at FSU PC, even as a graduate student. Who knew teachers don’t actually want you to fail.


Jeff Madison, a business administration student, had a similar experience. “In the business program, I always felt comfortable talking to my professors about a class or project. I even used two of my professors from FSU PC as references for my first post grad job. They really want you to succeed in life and not just pass you by in a class.”

Maybe this campus isn’t the “real college experience,” but it is so much more than that. It is about learning, starting a career, and meeting so many meaningful people in your life. I stay in touch with so many of my professors from FSU and created lifelong relationships.

Small classrooms make all the difference in college and that is why FSU PC is so special.

— Taylor Dorrough

contributing writer

No comments:

Post a Comment

Four Crossed Logs is produced by students at Florida State University Panama City. All opinions represent those of the individual writer and not the university or its administrators. The blog is intended to showcase the talent, communication and insight of FSU Panama City students.