Monday, November 21, 2016

Doak After Dark

This past Saturday, FSU’s Athletic Department put together the first concert at Doak Campbell Stadium, Doak After Dark, in 25 years. Bobby Bones and the Raging Idiots opened the show, followed by Old Dominion, and Tyler Farr was the headliner. Tickets started at $20, and parking was free. The stage was set up at the south end zone with the seating from sections 117 to 123 in front of the Champions Club. Gates opened at 6 p.m., and the show started at 7 p.m. There were things about my experience that I thoroughly enjoyed and some things I hope they correct before the next concert on April 29, 2017.

The Show Was Awesome

I personally am a fan of the Bobby Bones morning show crew, The Raging Idiots, and that’s why I bought my tickets in the first place. I saw Old Dominion at Spring Jam in PCB this year, but they were so much better this time around, I think it had everything to do with the venue. I left before Tyler Farr performed, but only because the UFC 205 fights were starting and I don’t miss a fight! The crowd was into it and the bands even started a few tomahawk chops. It was a great show!

Bobby Bones and the Raging Idiots with Lindsay Ell and Kristian Bush

Our Seats

I paid $30 for tickets and had front row, center stage seats. The stage was like 30 feet away because of the setup, but nevertheless, it was great.

Old Dominion

So like I said, I have seen Old Dominion before but whoa! They had so much energy, the sound was amazing, and their lead singer Matthew can sing. Given the opportunity, his voice could’ve filled Doak at full capacity and everyone would’ve had a good time. Take a listen to their album, Meat and Candy. Here’s a video from their set.


Then there were adjustments I think would help make the next show a better experience...

Training of CSC Staff

These are the wonderful people that check your bags, scan your tickets, and babysit all of the fans drinking in the stadium. They were friendly, but I felt bad that they didn’t really know what was going on. Because this was the first concert event, the policies were slightly different. I sat in line for an hour and fifteen minutes with my purse. I checked the website before going in and assumed that the bag rules were the same for the concert as they are for our games. They’re not. 15 minutes before we are let in, me and the 100 people behind me, are notified that the bags have to be clutch size or smaller. Luckily, I have an amazing husband who took it back to the car for me. Once we were in the gate, nobody had any idea where exactly we were allowed to sit. Because it was by sections and not seat numbers, people were confused, questions were asked, and basically it took 30 minutes for people from both sides to sort it all out.

Stage Setup

For me, the view was perfect. But I would have to imagine that for people in the outside sections, it would’ve been very hard to see the entire stage. Maybe move the stage back 25 feet or position the show in the center of the field? I don’t know. A couple of the acts said it was weird for them too because so far away from the crowd, it was a little strange.

The view to my right.

I loved the show and I’m definitely attending the next one in April. Blake Shelton and Jake Owen? Yes, please! Tickets go on sale Tuesday, Nov. 22, 2016. Seminoles Official Athletic Site

— Sandra de Arrigunaga

Four Crossed Logs intern
professional communication major

No comments:

Post a Comment

Four Crossed Logs is produced by students at Florida State University Panama City. All opinions represent those of the individual writer and not the university or its administrators. The blog is intended to showcase the talent, communication and insight of FSU Panama City students.