Monday, November 21, 2016

7 phone apps I use every day

Our wireless devices are the most addictive material possessions we fear to lose. I have to admit that I would be uninformed, disconnected, and I wouldn’t know how to make chocolate cake out of three ingredients.

Twitter

Breaking News and Entertainment

There are probably more informative news outlets, but getting into the rabbit hole of a news website these days couldn’t be more depressing. A 140-character cap keeps it short and simple and it gives me the option of clicking on a link if I want to know more information on the subject. I can look at the top trending hashtags in the United States and if I see something interesting, I can click on the hashtag and see what people are saying about it. I get to be in the driver’s seat. See for yourself: Twitter and follow me if you want.

Facebook

Family and Friends

Facebook can sometimes seem like you are walking down a dark alley behind a sketchy gas station, especially a week before the most controversial election of our time. You will find angry rants, passive aggressive updates, and “look at how much better my life is than yours” posts. On the bright side, you can keep in touch with your family and friends of all ages without having to pick up the phone. Totally worth walking through that dark alley, right? Facebook

Instagram

Photo and Video Updates

I follow 90 people and I only personally know about 10 of them. I like to follow celebrities, bloggers, and athletes that I really like. The pictures are always great because of their filters and now that they’ve added the video feature, you get to feel like you’re at a game or event that you would never have seen even 5 years ago. If you like pretty pictures and mostly positive updates, check out Instagram.

Pinterest

Projects and Recipes

I am always working on something around my house. My current projects are my kitchen, dining, and living rooms. Since we purchased our home two and a half years ago I have used Pinterest to give me different design perspectives whether I am purchasing pieces or pulling a DIY project. Need easy recipes or elaborate party plans? Have time to kill? Look at ideas people around the world have shared. Check out Pinterest, you will spend more money than you ever wanted to.


Podcasts

Radio Podcasts

I listen to one podcast every week day and others when I need something to listen to other than music. Apple organizes the podcasts you love by date and gives you an option to do a search if you need things to download before a flight or road trip. You can download the app and listen on any Apple device.

These are my 3 favorite podcasts:
  1. The Bobby Bones Show
  2. TED Radio Hour
  3. Love What Matters

Spotify

Music

For 9.99 a month, you can listen to just about any artist, genre, or song that you want. You can create your own playlists and stream or if you have the space on your device, you can download them right to your phone. I know I’m getting the better end of the deal by being able to experience all of the artists, so if I love a song or album, I purchase it on iTunes. Here is the link to Spotify, happy listening!

Amazon

Shopping

Amazon is either the greatest or worst thing to ever exist. Anything you want or need to purchase is right at your fingertips. When I was planning for my daughter to arrive, I used Amazon to make sure I was shopping competitively and when it got harder to move around they would ship it right to my door. There’s nothing I dislike about Amazon except for the amount of money I’ve spent. It ties right into my Pinterest obsession, check it out!

— Sandra de Arrigunaga

Four Crossed Logs intern
professional communication major

No comments:

Post a Comment

Four Crossed Logs is produced by students at Florida State University Panama City. All opinions represent those of the individual writer and not the university or its administrators. The blog is intended to showcase the talent, communication and insight of FSU Panama City students.