Thursday, September 8, 2016

How I Became a Formula 1 Fan

It was one of those nights randomly flipping through the cable box for something to watch when I came across a movie called “Rush.” I am one of the movie geeks who goes to the Flixster app to get the scoop on the ratings. I am usually up to watch any movie, no matter what it’s about, if it’s highly rated. When I searched for “Rush,” a few things piqued my interested:

  1. It was rated high with 89 percent by critics and 88 percent by users (main priority) 
  2. It starred Chris Hemsworth (MARRY ME!)

And that basically sums it up. I could tell from the movie info that it was about racing, but I had never heard of Formula One. (What is that? Maybe it’s another term for NASCAR.) I didn’t know but decided to give it a watch, and I’m always intrigued by a true story.

After watching this film, I was feeling knowledgeable. Formula One isn’t like NASCAR, nor is NASCAR another word for Formula One. F1 is the highest class of single-seat auto racing and holds worldwide races called the Grand Prix. These cars are the fastest road course racing cars in the world, reaching speeds up to 240 mph. I was on a high after watching “Rush,” searching everything possible about F1 racing and the crazy stories behind the lives of the drivers from the movie.

Never did I think I would get the chance to go see a Grand Prix race until I went to my first one in Italy with some friends in September 2015.

At the Grand Prix in Milan, Italy, in 2015

At this point, I didn’t know who I would be cheering on to win. It was my first race, and I didn’t know anything about the drivers that season. My friends enlightened me that they were team Lewis. Lewis Hamilton is an English Formula One racer for Mercedes AMG Petronas, and at the age of 31 is a three-time F1 World Champion. He sounded pretty cool, so from this point on I was team Lewis. Lewis Hamilton is fierce and isn’t scared to be dominate or overtaken on the track. Not only did he place first at the Italy Grand Prix in 2015, he now holds 49 wins to date.

Feeling like Lewis Hamilton

Not only am I an avid Lewis Hamilton fan, I enjoy watching the Grand Prix. If you are interested in attending a Grand Prix, don’t hesitate because the United States Grand Prix is around the corner. It’s held in Austin, Texas, the weekend of Oct. 21 with a special concert on Saturday by Taylor Swift. I highly recommend trying to go because this will be a Grand Prix you won’t want to miss.

— Brittany Sowell

Four Crossed Logs intern
professional communication major

No comments:

Post a Comment

Four Crossed Logs is produced by students at Florida State University Panama City. All opinions represent those of the individual writer and not the university or its administrators. The blog is intended to showcase the talent, communication and insight of FSU Panama City students.