Tuesday, July 5, 2016

Pollos bravas, aka angry chicken

While I am struggling to understand Spanish, it is clear that many Spanish people are struggling just as much to understand English.

For instance, the menu for Matilda Mandiles, a small restaurant adjacent to our apartments, includes English translations of their Spanish dishes.  As explained to me by Keith Howard, who teaches Spanish literature, while the “bravas” in “patatas bravas” on the menu could be literally translated as “brave,” it is more like “angry potatoes” as in spicy.

So, for those of you back in Panama City eating hot wings, in Spanish terms, you are having “angry chicken” (“pollos bravas”).

We haven’t tried the “war” strudel yet or the tumaca bread “with pajamas,” and I will probably skip the “gag” of Burgos – I am sure it means something else, but “gag” is not a word I would use on a menu.

— Mike Wallace

Four Crossed Logs advisor

1 comment:

  1. Hilarious! When I was in Beijing last October, a big menu item was fungus. And even with pictures of mushrooms cooked in several different ways, my husband and I could not stomach eating anything anyone deems "fungus." You'd be surprised that I did settle for the century-year-old egg drop soup! It was aromatic, to say the least.

    ReplyDelete

Four Crossed Logs is produced by students at Florida State University Panama City. All opinions represent those of the individual writer and not the university or its administrators. The blog is intended to showcase the talent, communication and insight of FSU Panama City students.