Tuesday, December 6, 2016

‘Tis the season for soup

As the temperature outside cools down, I find myself craving lovely warm soup. One of my favorites is carrot soup. I have childhood memories of my Granny serving homemade carrot soup when my family visited, and I have more clear memories of my mother making the same soup on many occasions.



A couple of years ago, I asked my mother for her recipe. She gave me a photocopy of the recipe she has always used. The original recipe is for French soup, Potage Crecy, from "The All Colour Freezer Cookery Book" by Madeline Fraser. There does not seem to be a copyright date listed in the book, but my mother estimates that she purchased it around 1980. The book is British, so I have adapted the recipe to use American measurements and terminology. I found the recipe to be a bit vague in places, so I have modified the steps as well.



This is a great recipe for college students, as it does not cost much to make, and it freezes and reheats very well. I love to serve this soup with a big piece of crusty French bread, and some chunks of sharp cheddar cheese.

— Phoebe Isaac

Four Crossed Logs intern
professional communication major

Carrot soup

Ingredients:


  • 1 tablespoon of butter
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 1 pound of carrots, peeled and sliced
  • 1 large potato, peeled and diced
  • 32 ounces of chicken stock
  • 1 tablespoon of fresh parsley, finely chopped
  • 1 teaspoon of sugar
  • salt
  • pepper
  • 4 tablespoons of heavy whipping cream


Steps:

1.  Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat.

2.  Add onions, and cook, stirring occasionally, until they begin to soften and become translucent (about 5 minutes).

3.  Add carrots and potato.  Stir to combine, then cover and cook for 5 minutes.

4.  Pour in the chicken stock.  Increase heat to medium-high, and bring to a boil.

5.  Add parsley, sugar, and salt and pepper to taste.  Stir to combine.

6.  Cover halfway, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer until vegetables are soft and tender (about 30 minutes).

7.  Remove from heat and let rest about 5 minutes.

8.  Use a blender or handheld immersion blender to puree the soup mixture.

9.  Return soup to the saucepan, and heat over medium-low.  To serve, swirl a dash of cream into the soup and garnish with a sprinkling of fresh parsley.

10.  Refrigerate or freeze leftover soup.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Four Crossed Logs is produced by students at Florida State University Panama City. All opinions represent those of the individual writer and not the university or its administrators. The blog is intended to showcase the talent, communication and insight of FSU Panama City students.